Wednesday

a New Year to stomp

It's almost that time again. The evening full of sparkling cider with the kids, good-bad movies (you know, a bad movie that doesn't take itself seriously so it's... GOOD) and board games.

The dog will sleep at my feet, after a long walk. My son will be elsewhere but I'll get a midnight text. There will likely be a long bath.

A part of all of this is usually the list. You know, "resolutions". I laugh at your resolutions and substitute my own. Oh wait, that's supposed to be reality, not resolutions. But I think it works.

Here's my list. Laughter is allowed and expected.
NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS
Be happy
Be grateful
Be centered
Be peaceful
Be baking lots of cookies
Be condescending of people who take life too seriously
Be optimistic
Be supportive
Be grace
Be silent
Be outrageous
Be trouble
Be docile
Be flamboyant
Be angry (but not often)
Be giggly
Be content

I choose 17 things, every year, that I want to remember to focus my energy upon. Last December, the list included 17 things about finding a job. I wanted a job that made me happy, helped me feel whole again, had lots of fun people to work with. That worked. I got it all AND a Madge and a Tom. Joy.


This year, it's me I want to improve. Wait. I don't mean it like that. It's me I want to GROUND. I want to rediscover joy in little things, be happy with what I have, work less and complete more.

Have you made your list?

5 comments:

  1. This is an inspiring list. I think I might be able to learn a thing or two from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like "be flamboyant"!
    I generally don't make new year's lists... I just have an idea of how I'd like this year to be different.... I don't know... maybe I should make a list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:14 AM

    You know something? I haven't made a list, no.

    I made two new year's resolutions once and that was it. I like to save them to right serious emergencies and, right now, there's nothing really wrong.

    So yeah - let's have 2009 but with a different name and some different experiences. That'll do me just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list.

    No I don't write lists, I just tend to live each day as it comes hoping it's not my last.

    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a good list and best wishes for the new year to you.

    ReplyDelete