Monday

Eyes melt, skin explodes... everybody dead!*




My age is beginning to get to me.

Not because I feel anywhere near the age I actually am,
but because, when people ask me how old I'm going to be on my birthday
and I tell them
they always, always, ALWAYS ask,
"what was it like....in the 80s?"


Well, people, I'm here to tell you... it was UGLY.

There were those shoulder pads.
Everyone smoked Players cigarettes
and wore leather jackets.
"Frankie Say: RELAX"
Neon yellow puffy paint.
Baggy jeans that were too short AND tight at the ankle.
AIDS.
"I'm just a Gigolo"
and that movie about the whore that every man fell in love with.
We won't even talk about ass pants
(for my son's sake)
(OK, now I have to explain - blue jeans so worn-out that the ass had rips -
and I WORE BOXER SHORTS OR MEN'S LONGJOHNS UNDERNEATH - I SWEAR)
Short, spiky hair.
Advertising.
Party, party & more party time.
"I'll sleep when I'm dead"

My high school yearbook shows way too much BIG hair,
too many girls with too much eye makeup
and a severe shortage of good taste.




Me? I wore levis 501s and my grandfather's old suit jackets.
Converse high tops.
Shopped resale.
Bowling shirts, wife beaters, doc martins.
Carried a messenger bag. Dated a messenger.
Ate butterscotch candies
Bought swatch watches and wore the box.
Everyone thought I was weird.
I did have feathered hair, but you can forgive me that.


Right?

(Oh, no, I wonder if they saw the lime green dress)
(I wore that to Frankie Goes to Hollywood open for Power Station)
(Oh, Damn)

Please?

(*Name that 80s movie - be the first to tell me who said it and what movie it came from and I'll send you a monkey. I love monkeys...)


10 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:41 PM

    I'd love to tell you, but I fear you'd renege on the deal and send someone round - a man maybe - to repossess my monkey.

    btw.... Frankie opening for Power Station is so much more cool than Power Station opening for Frankie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No shit! I agree the 80's sucked! Why does anyone like the music from that period, let alone want to be stuck in that time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember swatch watches!!! I loved mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The music from that period actually waken my sense of music, all music, I had been killed by the 60's and 70's. I did not find it bad, but then i found my high school years of the late 60's and early 70's atrocious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVED the 80's!!

    BTW....You Wuz Awesomely HOT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @G-man: She still is awesomely hot. ;)

    Ugh. The 80's. You forgot... LEG WARMERS. And Spandex. On people who shouldn't wear spandex. And parachute pants. And Prince (sorry... just threw up in my mouth a little). And Sheena Easton. Flashdance and Footloose and Top Gun. Okay, Top Gun was only half a gagger. Rolling Stone going to glossy.

    But the worst? The #1-with-a-bullet-u-can't-top-this-king-of-the-hill-WORST?

    Three words: Chrysler K Car

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, it was Repo Man... but I don't remember who said it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the 80's - cmon you loved them too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 80s are awesome.
    yes ARE.
    a bit before my time, but still.
    and mojo, i owned a dodge aries K
    ok. so it wasnt new. so what.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well at least you arent stuck in the age of emo kids, people faking depression, whore singers, nasty ugly fashion...I love leg warmers and 80s music. With out It I might just eat my generation. So no complaining. Ahahaha also...I absolutleyyy loveee that scarf that looks like a piano ;D I wonder who has it now...

    I dont know I guess whatever era you are from, you wish you were in another. And Of all of them Id choose the 30's or the 80's. But not all things were bad about my generation of the 90s...It just got icky when new trends set in around junior high time.

    Im still jealous of the bands you saw, And I like lime green. But you know that by now. And jeez did only one person say repo man? And yes the 80s are awesome even if I was about...4 ish years late.

    ReplyDelete